”’Central High School, Omaha”’ (1912)
124 N 20th Street, Omaha, Nebraska
John Latenser, architect
medium: likely marble
A massive Beaux-Arts structure with a sculpted pediment in one wing, atop of set of frothy Corinthian columns, and three acroteria echoed on the cornice. A central allegorical figure (Minerva, possibly) in the pediment presides over reclining readers and painters and other students. The drape of her skirt is an unfortuante focal point, and judging from the date and the wear pattern, the stone is likely marble.
The Liechtenstein-trained architect Latenser, born in 1858, trained in Stuttgart and Chicago and joined later by his sons, was an architectural fixture in Omaha for many years. His landmark New Douglas County Court House in Omaha also has plenty of decorative stonework, but blank pediments.